Wichita is the most populated city in Kansas. With a stable housing market, a low cost of living, great weather, and excellent education, it’s one of the great cities in the United States. Living in Wichita
Source: Flickr user Seth J

Cost of Living

City statistics aggregator AreaVibes gives Wichita an A+ rating on cost of living. The city’s cost of living index is 87 against a 100 baseline, making it about one percent lower than the state average and a full 13 percent less than the national. Median salary for a Wichita household is over $46,000 per year. Unemployment and poverty rates are right around the national average, making Wichita is a good place to start a family.

Housing

The median cost of a home in Wichita is $117,000, and rent averages roughly $675 per month. Households average two to three people. 61.6 percent of properties are owned, with the remaining 38.4 percent being rentals. Home values are somewhat lower than the average in the state. 10 percent of properties are vacant with 13 percent of those available for sale. The housing market is stable and roughly on par with national averages.

Weather

Wichita features a temperate climate which ranges from an average of about 33 degrees in December to nearly 80 degrees in August. The highest precipitation, at a little over seven inches, occurs in the month of June. The air quality is excellent in the region. On average, there are no days of poor quality, and only 74 days have moderate quality. The pollution index in Wichita is over 95 percent lower than the national average.

Education

The student-teacher ratio in Wichita is in lock-step with the national average of 16:1 and is somewhat higher than the statewide average of 14:1. The city offers a choice of 98 public schools, 30 private schools, and 12 institutions of higher learning. The graduation rate in Wichita is high with around 60 percent of residents completing at least some postsecondary education and over 28 percent of residents holding at least a four-year degree. Wichita State University is among the most well-known educational options.

Outdoor Recreation

The many outdoor activities in Wichita include golf courses, nature preserves, parks, wildlife preserves and zoos, and waterparks. There are over 100 parks in the region including the Great Plains Nature Center. Zoos and wildlife parks include the Sedgwick County Zoo, the seventh largest in the nation, and Tanganyika Wildlife Park, which includes the unique opportunity to feed animals such as giraffes and rhinos.

Arts and Culture

There are a number of cultural experiences available to residents of Wichita. These include the 44-feet tall Keeper of the Plains statue, the Wichita Gardens, the Coleman Factory Outlet and Museum, the Coutts Museum of Art, Exploration Place, Inc., the Great Plains Transportation Museum, and the Kansas African American Museum. Popular music venues include the INTRUS Bank Arena, Ernie Biggs Dueling Piano Bar, and the internationally known Music Theatre Wichita.

Restaurants Wichita has over 1,000 restaurants which spotlight a broad and diverse range of international cuisine. No matter what you like, Wichita has something sure to satisfy your taste buds. Some of the most popular establishments in the region include the Doo-Dah Diner, a renowned breakfast establishment and the Reverie Coffee Roasters coffeehouse. The AVI Seabar & Chophouse is also a very popular choice. This establishment brings in fresh seafood every day, offers the best in steak and hand-crafted sandwiches, and has an excellent selection of wines and spirits.

Sports

While Wichita does not feature any major league professional sports teams, the Wichita Area Sports Commission can be counted on to provide information on many popular sporting events in the area including Wichita Thunder hockey, Wichita B-52s arena soccer, and Wichita Force arena football. The city is proud of its sports tradition and events are widely supported and attended. This pride is shown in the Wichita Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. Featured image source: Flickr user ercwttmn

Know Wichita? Tell us what you like about living there in the comments below!