28 Things No One Tells You About Leaving SyracuseNo matter how long you’re gone, you’ll never stop bleeding orange.
1. When You Say Youre From Syracuse Everyone Will Ask How Close It Is To New York
Um… pretty close since its like… in New York.
2. Or They'll Ask You What The University Was Like
Heaven help you if you didnt go to Syracuse University, because that statement will be followed with an interrogation about why you lived there in the first place.
3. Salt Potatoes Will Always Be A Little Taste Of Home
There will never be a better homesickness cure, comfort food, or pre-paycheck meal.
4. Every St. Patricks Day, Youll Wish You Were In Tipp Hill
Sure, bigger cities might do it bigger… but they never do it better.
5. Youll Never Forget Where You Wrote Your Name At Chucks Cafe
And every time you go back to Syracuse youll check to see if its still there.
6. Your Friday Nights Will Seem Totally Empty Without A Fish Fry
Between the diners and the churches, there is always an amazing fish fry during Lent in Syracuse.
7. Youll Crave Hofmann Coney Dogs At Every Cookout
Between the frequent trips to Heids and all those Hofmann dog cookouts, your hotdog palate is just way too refined now.
8. And Youll Have Dreams About Dinosaur BBQs Mouthwatering Ribs
Dont be surprised if you wake up with drool on your pillow.
9. Nothing Will Ever Compare To Wegmans
Sure, you kind of already knew this. But it doesnt really sink in until the first time you go grocery shopping somewhere else.
10. You Dont Need To Get Up Two Hours Earlier In The Winter
Because shoveling a path to get your car out of your driveway wont take quite that long anymore.
11. When People Complain About The Snow, Try Not To Laugh
The only downside of not living in Syracuse in the winter is that you now have to listen to complaints about five measly inches of snow.
12. People Will Ask You If Youre Going Hunting All March
But youll never stop bleeding orange no matter where you live.
13. And Outside Syracuse Orange And Blue Are “Clashing Colors”
Because everyone is the fashion police and cant appreciate true beauty apparently.
14. Apple Picking Just Isnt The Same
Syracuse has the best orchards ever, which means the best fall outings to pick your own apples, the best cider, and the best pies.
15. Getting Stuck In Traffic Means Waiting For More Than Five Seconds
Barring game days, everyone from Syracuse has been seriously spoiled by the lack of traffic.
16. Pizza Fritte Is Actually Kind Of Gross
Actually, everything youve ever eaten at the New York State Fair is kind of gross. But somehow, youll still miss it.
17. No One Appreciates Good Weather Like A Syracuse Expat
Thats why youre getting all the weird looks while running around in fifty degree weather with shorts on.
18. Youll Miss All The Weekly Summer Festivals
Gone are those long summer days spent at everything from the Polish Festival, to the Greek Cultural Festival, to Jazz Fest, to Empire Brewfest.
19. Not Every “Park” Is A Gorgeous Sprawling Green Space
Theyre not always like Green Lakes or Beaver Lake. Sometimes its just a little grass, a few trees, and some benches.
20. No One Else Knows About The Delicious Magic Of Headlight Donuts
Ask for them somewhere thats not Harrison or another Syracuse bakery, and all youll get are a bunch of strange looks and a lot of confusion.
21. Everyone Will Ask You About Your Accent
Even though youve never been aware of having any kind of accent before leaving Syracuse.
22. Dont Talk To Strangers Is A General Rule
Most people dont have half-hour conversations with people they dont really know. Although as everyone from Syracuse knows, that just makes life way less interesting and exciting.
23. Seeing The Sun Isnt A Rare Event
Just try not to cover your eyes and scream, “AHH! The light! It burns!”
24. Finding A Replacement For Columbus Bakery Is A Lost Cause
That Italian bread is seriously one of a kind. Youre better off trying to bribe the owner to give you the recipe than trying in vain to find something similar somewhere else.
25. Your First Non-Syracuse Tax Payment Is The Most Amazing Thing Ever
It involves a lot of happy dancing around and singing and tears of joy at all the money you still have left over.
26. But Then Youll Realize What Public Schools Are Like Everywhere Else
And immediately think, “Oh… so I guess thats what the property taxes were for…”
27. People From Syracuse Are Way More Direct
Blunt isnt quite the right word, but someone from Syracuse will make it perfectly clear how they feel about something with plenty of tact. Its not as easy to get a straight answer everywhere else.
28. But Syracuse Nice Is Always Genuine
When you leave Syracuse, youll start to wonder, “Are they smiling and being nice to me because they mean it, or because everyone does that here?” What do you miss about Syracuse? Tell us in the comments below!
Zip Codes and Neighborhoods in Syracuse, NY
- 13207 Homes For Sale
- 13208 Homes For Sale
- 13209 Homes For Sale
- 13215 Homes For Sale
- 13219 Homes For Sale