23 Things You Learn While Living In PhiladelphiaThese lessons are given with plenty of brotherly love.
1. First Things First You Need To Lose Some SyllablesYou can say “Philadelphia” anywhere else in the country, but if you’re now living here, it’s “Philly.”
2. Wawa Isn’t A Convenience Store, It’s A Way Of Life
3. The Only Thing People From Philly Love More Than Wawa Are The Local TeamsLook, the love that Philly locals have for their teams has been well documented. Philly fans are pretty much the most loyal in the nation, so win or lose (and lose, and lose) people here never give up on their teams. And this passion stretches across all sports, whether your talking about the Phillies, the 76ers, the Flyers you can count on Philly to be cheering along. And of course it goes without saying, if “da Iggles” are playing football, you’re watching. Period.
4. You Better Have Your Stats Straight, Too
5. Don’t Let Philadelphian’s Gruff Exterior Fool You
6. There Is Nothing More Refreshing During A Philly Summer Than Water Ice
7. Nothing Will Out You Faster As An Outsider Than Running Up These Steps
8. While On The Subject Of Philly’s Place In Pop CulturePhilly has its lauded place in history—why, thanks, Ben Franklin—but it’s also a fixture in pop culture. For instance, we all know that a certain prince was born and raised in West Philadelphia before he went west. That reference won’t get old any time soon. Sometimes “It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia” absolutely nails what it's like to live here. And it always makes us laugh. There’s also the fact that we get to see Philly natives, the Roots, perform on “The Tonight Show” throughout the week. Basically Philly deserves its own star on the Walk of Fame.
9. Knowing Which Neighborhoods Is Your Perfect Fit Is Half The Battle
10. Everyone In Philly Is Fiercely Passionate About Their NeighborhoodOnce you do pick a neighborhood you love, it almost becomes the equivalent of your little brother. If someone talks bad about it, he’s going to hear from you. You can pick on your neighborhood, but if someone else does there’s gonna be trouble.
11. Get Ready To Learn A Second LanguageHere are a few words that you’re going to hear in Philly: “Jimmies,” “Scrapple,” and “hoagies,” which are otherwise known as “sprinkles,” “meat,” and “subs” (careful). There are obviously plenty more words to know about, but let’s just start you off there.
12. OMG! The Cheesesteaks. The. Cheesesteaks.
13. Speaking Of Where To Go—Or Not Go—For Cheesesteaks
14. In Philly Mummers Make Us Cheer
15. This Sip Will Last For The Rest Of The Year
16. One Of The Best Things About Philly Is This Beautifully Boozy Garden
17. But If You Want Enough Choices For A Food Coma, There’s Reading TerminalOpened at the end of the 19th century and recently renovated, the Reading Terminal Market features about 80 vendors and more than 30 restaurants. Make it your mission to find your favorite combination of eats.
18. If You’re Really Lucky A Coworker Will Bring Soft Pretzels To Work
19. Visit The Liberty Bell Because Everyone Should At Least Once
20. SEPTA Is How You Get EverywhereYour train is late. It’s grimy. It smells. Whatever your complaint about the subway may be, don't worry. You’re not the first to think it. But this is still so much better than risking a parking ticket.
21. If You Like Feeling Cultured, You’ve Come To The Right Place
22. Know That Your City Is Worth The Hype
23. But If You’re Going To Dismiss Somewhere……Go ahead and roll your eyes at New York City. What’s something you learned living in Philadelphia? Tell us in the comments below!
Zip Codes and Neighborhoods in Philadelphia, PA
- 19124 Homes For Sale
- 19128 Homes For Sale
- 19134 Homes For Sale
- 19146 Homes For Sale
- 19147 Homes For Sale