50 Ways Living In New Mexico Spoils You ForeverThe key to not letting New Mexico spoil you for all other places? Don’t ever leave in the first place.
1. You’ll Wake Up To Scenery Like This Every Day
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookYep. Life is hard.
2. Got Allergies? Of Course You Don’tBecause you live in New Mexico. But try leaving, and who suddenly you’re allergic to the whole world. Gesundheit.
3. Count ‘Em, 277 Days Of Sun Every YearThanks, New Mexico. You sure know how to spoil a girl.
4. You’ll Never Find Town Names And Landmarks This Entertaining
Source: Flickr user Lou GoldNot anywhere. Not ever. Soak it up while you can.
5. Finding Quality Chiles Elsewhere Is Harder Than You ThinkThey’re just better here. And yes, they’re that important, even listed as the most iconic American food by USA Today.
6. All Of Those Unique Blue DoorsYou’ll never find as many anywhere else. And in the immortal words of the 80s hair band Cinderella, you don’t know what you’ve got ‘til it’s gone.
7. Regular Birthday Balloons Will Never Be Good Enough Again
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookThe Albuquerque Balloon Festival is one of epic proportions and will change the way you see any and all balloons for the rest of your life. So just deal with it.
8. You’ll Never Be Able To Order An Enchilada Anywhere ElseThe tortillas in New Mexico are perfection. The tortillas in every other state are something akin to the taste of paper.
9. The Bread Is Like Manna From HeavenUnless, of course you can get the artisanal loaves at Santa Fe’s Sage Bakehouse, which are baked in ovens from France. Everything else pales in comparison.
10. It’s Always Peanut Butter And Jelly Muffin TimeSage Bakehouse also makes these perfect baked goods which are basically the most perfect brunch on-the-go ever created.
11. Taking Your Dog To The Dog Park Is Just So...Meh
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookWhen this is what your walks could be. Sigh.
12. Where Else Can You Order Your Food Christmas Style?The answer is nowhere. Try it in another other state and you’ll get some pretty funny looks. Unless you’re Santa Claus.
13. Not All Cookies Taste Like BischochitosThere is no earthly reason for why this is true, but it is and it will ruin all other cookies for you.
14. Regular Bonfires Are Less Than Impressive
Source: Flickr user Tobias RoybalI believe it was Crocodile Dundee who once said, “That’s not a fire. That’s a fire.” Or something like that.
15. Nowhere Else Knows How To Fiesta Like You DoThey throw festivals other places, sure. But you know back home is the only place to get your real fiesta on.
16. What Kind Of Monster Celebrates The 4th Of July Without Pancakes?It’s just barbaric.
17. You Expect Every Sunset To Look Like This
Source: Flickr Paul AngladaThey have a word for that. It’s called spoiled.
18. You’ll Never Diet Again, Thanks To Frito PieGet it straight from the bag at the Five & Dime at the Santa Fe Plaza.
19. You’ll Start Watching “Men In Black” Like It’s A DocumentaryEspecially after spending a day in Roswell for the UFO Festival.
20. Sand At Other Beaches Will Look Like Dirt
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookBecause you’ve officially been spoiled with White Sands.
21. And The Moon Will Never Be The SameAfter you see it rise full over the White Sands dunes, not only will the moon never be the same, but you might not, either.
22. Any Other Quirky Town Pales In Comparison To TaosCNN, The Smithsonian, Fox News and Forbes all agree: The historic town of Taos is the most amazing small city that no one has ever heard of. After you visit, every other city just feels silly in comparison.
23. Everywhere Else Expects You To Play Miniature Versions Of Cornhole
Source: SF ReporterWho is the other version for – ants?!
24. Try Finding Herds Of Elk Anywhere ElseSure, they exist other places. But you’ll have to go far and look beyond your backyard.
25. New Mexico Piñon CoffeeStarbucks? Please.
26. These Will Be Your Christmas Lights
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookAnd everyone you send Christmas cards to will be insanely jealous.
27. You’ve Had To Watch “Breaking Bad” Three Different TimesThe first two viewings you spent trying to figure out where they were. The third, you actually paid attention to the show.
28. Blue Rock CandyNow that you know where to find the real stuff in Albuquerque, you have a little addiction of your own.
29. Star Gazing Is Particularly Epic
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookTelescope? Who needs a telescope with a view like this?
30. You Never Thought You’d Like Pork RindsUntil you tried chicharrones. The truth hurts. But it tastes so good.
31. Mud Baths At Ojo Caliente Mineral Springs Resort & SpaThey’ll make you feel like a regular Marie Antoinette.
32. You Can Never Visit An Elephant Butte Anywhere Else
Source: Flickr user Birdie JaworskiAt least, not without it being extremely weird, anyway.
33. Long, Scenic Drives Down Route 66Commuter traffic anywhere else literally makes you want to cry.
34. The Bats At Carlsbad CavernsThey’re both terrifying and mesmerizing at the same time.
35. You’ll Always Want To Be Outside Doing Something
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookGee, I wonder why...
36. Except For When You’re Eating All That PieWith Pie Town always calling your name, keeping your waistline or eating pie for breakfast, lunch, and dinner seem to be your only options.
37. You’ll Feel The Need To Pray A LotSo many Madonna statues. So little time.
38. You’ll Always Feel Like You’re Making A Grand Entrance
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookWithout them, walking in just feels so uneventful.
39. You Can Ski The Slopes And Camp The Desert In The Same WeekendBut you’ll be a total show off. No one should be this well-rounded.
40. Be In Four States At OnceSpeaking of well-rounded...how’s that for showing off?
41. You Have To Watch Where You’re Going If You Have A Nut Allergy
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookLike, really watch.
42. Damn You, Bobcat Bite…And Bert’s Burger Bowl. And anywhere else on the green chile cheeseburger trail.
43. You’ll Ask Questions You’ll Never Have Answers ToThe Miraculous Staircase at Santa Fe’s Loretto Chapel theoretically has no feasible explanation for how it was built. But who really cares, right?
44. You’ll Never Look At History The Same Way Again
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookCome to the Gathering of Nations PowWow in Albuquerque and see for yourself.
45. You’ll Want To Be GolfingWith all of those world-class golfing courses, you’ll want to spend as much time at them as possible. But, you will eventually have to go to work, too.
46. Beers Brewed By Anyone Other Than Monks SucksAfter a bottle of Abbey Beverage Company beer, that Budweiser’s looking pretty sad.
47. You’ll Have A Lot Of Skulls In Your Life Now
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookLuckily, they’re adorable.
48. A Regular House Will Never DoAfter all the jaw-dropping architecture here? No thanks, McMansions.
49. The Conundrum Of Living Near Ghost TownsAt first you probably didn’t want to visit because they’re kind of creepy but now you can’t eait to get back.
50. You’ll Never Really Be Happy Anywhere Else
Source: Visit New Mexico FacebookThis isn’t Hotel California. You can leave New Mexico any time you wish. But your heart will always stay behind, right where you left it. Feature Image Source: Visit New Mexico Facebook Did we miss anything? Tell us what else about New Mexico has ruined you for life in the comments below!