1. No One Knows The Difference Between Eastern And Lexington BBQ
Source: Flickr user calamity_sal
And no one outside North Carolina does either style anywhere near as well as you’re used to. You’ll even start to miss those heated BBQ debates.
2. If You Bust Out Some Moonshine At A Party You Might Get Weird Looks
Source: Flickr user camerazn
But it’ll probably be the most wild, awesome party that’s ever taken place outside of North Carolina, so when you weigh the weird looks against that, it’s totally worth it.
3. Trying To Describe How Good Livermush Is Will Be A Losing Battle
To anyone who’s not an North Carolinian, the worlds “liver” and “mush” together will just sound like “ew” and “gross.”
4. People Will Ask You To Say Things In Your “Accent”
Source: Tumblr user retrospectacled
Being a parrot might not be a lot of fun, but at least you’ll always have a trick at parties.
5. You Will Have Intense Sun Drop And Cheerwine Cravings
Source: Flickr user deep_fried/
The rest of the world is just seriously lacking in the delicious soft drink department. Mountain Dew and Cherry Dr. Pepper might take the edge off, but nothing really compares.
6. But Those Cravings Won’t Even Compare To The Bojangles’ Cravings
Source: Flickr user edjohnson841
Whenever someone suggests you try KFC instead you’ll probably want to cry a little. It’s okay. Let it out.
7. Your New Neighbors Might Not Throw You A Welcome Party
North Carolinian hospitality isn’t quite the norm in most states, but that doesn’t mean you can’t bring it with you. Maybe kindness really can be contagious.
8. Constantly Hearing “App-uh-lay-shun” Will Slowly Drive You Insane
Source: Tumblr user msanimanga
You’ll correct people the first hundred times, but after awhile you’ll give up and just whisper “App-uh-latch-uhn” under your breath.
9. You’ll Long For Those Morning Walks On The North Carolina Coast
Source: Flickr user rharrison
There’s no better way to wake up than with some fresh ocean air on some of the most pristine beaches you’ve ever seen.
10. And The Gorgeous Sunsets Over The Mountains
Source: Flickr user blueridgekitties
Seriously, who else is as spoiled as North Carolinians when it comes to beautiful views?
11. The Tar Heels-Blue Devils Rivalry Is Forever
Source: Flickr user 95902938@N06
Even years after leaving, you’ll still have a gut reaction and want to pick a fight with anyone wearing the wrong kind of blue.
12. People Actually Think Grits And Oatmeal Are Interchangeable
Source: Flickr user stark23x
Which you of course know is actually only possible if you literally lost all of your taste buds in some horrible taste bud losing accident.
13. Every Local Festival Will Not Feature A Bluegrass Band
Source: Flickr user 28744394@N08
And you won’t always know multiple people who know how to play a mean banjo, fiddle, or mandolin.
14. Nothing Beats Fall In North Carolina
Source: Flickr user NCBrian
Sure, the leaves change color everywhere. But nowhere will ever seem quite as vibrant or beautiful as the North Carolina mountains in the fall.
15. It Actually Has To Snow Before You Get A Snow Day
Source: Flickr user amayzing
It can’t just be cold. It can’t just be a chance of snow. And no, flurries or even anything less than five inches doesn’t really count most places.
16. You’ll Have To Educate The World About Decent Burger Toppings
Source: Flickr user krathbun7
If you order a burger all-the-way, you’re more likely to get pickles, ketchup, lettuce, and onion than the far superior chili, Carolina mustard, and coleslaw combo you adore. It’s now your responsibility to enlighten the masses.
17. No One Else Puts A Toboggan On Their Head
Source: Flickr user Smoobs
They might sled down a snowy hill on one though, which can make winter a seriously confusing time of the year.
18. Y’all Is A Real Word, No Matter How Much People Say Otherwise
Source: Wordpress user walktorio2016
And they will say otherwise. But come on, it’s not like “you guys” is so much better.
19. There Are Actually People Who Drink Unsweetened Tea
Or even worse, people who think throwing some sugar in unsweetened tea makes it sweet tea. Bless their disgusting little hearts.
20. No One Else Considers Greens Cooked In Pork Fat “Healthy”
Source: Flickr user tomspix
And sadly, you won’t convince anyone. No matter how many times you argue that it’s the only way to make them taste good, or say, “Well, they’re green, aren’t they?”
21. No One Will Ever Do Passive Aggressive As Well As North Carolinians
The one and maybe only real perk of leaving North Carolina is that no one will ever even realize you’re (kind of, sort of) insulting them when you say, “Bless your heart.”
22. You Might Actually Want To Lock Your Car Doors
Yeah, it can be hard to adjust if you’re coming from small town North Carolina, but you’re not in Andy Griffith land anymore.
23. All Other Mayonnaise Is A Pale Imitation Compared To Duke’s
Source: Flickr user afiler
A pale, bland, sad imitation. Your tomato sandwiches will never taste quite the same.
24. It’s Kind Of Weird To Feel Nostalgic About Joe Camel
Outside of North Carolina, anyway. When most people think of cartoon animals they feel nostalgic about, it’s Scooby Doo or Mickey Mouse. Not so much a cigarette mascot.
25. Stock Up On Texas Pete Before You Go
Source: Flickr user pcarpen
It’s almost impossible to find some places. You know, all those places with people that just can’t handle the heat like North Carolinians.
26. You’ll Really Miss Cook-Out Next Time You Have A Hangover
Source: Flickr user jeremybrooks
How does anyone ever cure hangovers without a 2AM trip for their restorative burgers, fries, and milkshakes?
27. Everyone Else Missed Eighth Grade Geography
You’ll have to explain at least a dozen times that yes, North Carolina and South Carolina really are two different states. Should people know better? Yes. Do they? Surprisingly, not always.
28. Northerners Don’t Usually Appreciate The Nickname “Yankee Land”
Source: Tumblr user gifs-for-the-masses
Sure, it’s a totally accurate nickname, but sometimes the truth can be kind of hard to face.
29. You’ll Truly Understand The Feeling Behind “Carolina In My Mind”
No one quite knows the true pain of North Carolina homesickness like your new best friend James Taylor.
30. Home Will Always Be Waiting For You
Source: Flickr user palmdiscipline
No matter how far you go or how long you’re gone, a North Carolinian is a North Carolinian for life. Leaving seems a whole lot less scary when you know you can always come back to open arms.
What do you miss about North Carolina? Tell us in the comments below!