1. Literally No One Cares About Orlando
It’s not that people from Jacksonville hate Orlando, but it’s safe to say residents are more than happy they don’t get Orlando’s massive, year round influx of tourists tearing up the beaches. They’ll take the quieter life any day.
2. Summer And January Are The Only Seasons In Jacksonville
Even December days in Jacksonville are what most of the country thinks of as a cool summer evening. January dips into the mid to low 40s, which residents consider freezing.
3. No One Has A Better Sense Of Humor Than A Jaguars Fan
Jaguars fans have had to put up with a lot of heartache, but they’ve dealt with it in the healthiest possible way—with a whole lot of gallows humor. As a result, all the fans have a self-deprecating wit that rivals Jon Stewart’s.
4. When It’s Raining, Everyone Forgets How To Drive
Even though Jacksonville gets a considerable amount of rain in the summer months, everyone still becomes a fifteen-year-old with a permit at the first rumble of thunder.
5. Everyone Is Semi-Qualified For Lifeguard Duty
Combine gorgeous beaches and extra-long summers and what do you get? You get a whole lot of locals who know their way around water. Swimming, surfing, and kayaking aren’t just hobbies for Jacksonville residents—they’re a lifestyle.
6. If You Had To Choose Between Mom’s Southern Home Cooking Or The Metro Diner, You’d Choose The Metro Diner Any Day
Because, honestly, living without The Metro Diner’s famous chicken and waffles or mouthwatering shrimp and grits is a fate too terrible to contemplate. Sorry, Mom.
7. The Hippest Hangouts Are In Riverside
Riverside is the place to be if you’re young and cool in Jacksonville or if you just want to spend the day doing young, cool person things. The area boasts two local breweries, boutique shopping, hip coffee shops, and plenty of nightlife.
8. Going To The French Pantry Means Waiting An Hour In Line, And Being Totally Okay With That
If you have any doubts, try their rare roast beef sandwich with Boursin on a freshly baked roll. Jacksonville locals know it’s worth every minute of the wait.
9. The Answer To “Where Did You Get That Cool Painting?” Is Always The Art Walk
On the first Wednesday of every month, rain or shine, the best of Jacksonville’s local talent comes out to sell their work. From paintings, to jewelry, to recycled art, it’s impossible to leave without finding the perfect piece for yourself or a friend.
10. The Local Brews Can’t Be Beat
Beer lovers in Jacksonville love the city’s growing microbrewery scene. Bold City Brewery and Intuition Ale Works stand out as local favorites.
Did we miss anything? Tell us what you think is unique about Jacksonville in the comments below!