26 Things People From Fort Wayne Have To Explain To Out-Of-TownersThis “City of Churches” also worships the Coney Island Dog and the Komets.
1. Fort Wayne Residents Love A Coney Island Dog As Much As New Yorkers
Fort Wayne’s Famous Coney Island has been serving up Coney dogs since 1914, and they don’t show any signs of slowing down. Locals know you should always order with a side of beans.
2. Never Disagree With A Die Hard Komets Fan
In this city, it’s all about the minor league ice hockey team, the Fort Wayne Komets. Once you’re in Komets’ territory, it’s best pull on an orange shirt and blend in with the crowd.
3. Seyfert’s Are The Only Chips Worth Eating
Seyfert was founded in Fort Wayne by Charles Seyfert in 1933, and locals have been loving the snack food bearing his name ever since.
4. A Bed Race Is Exactly What It Sounds Like
Fort Wayne’s massive Three Rivers Festival includes a bed race… that’s pretty much exactly what it sounds like. It’s not something you see everyday, but it’s certainly an interesting form of entertainment.
5. Every Winter In Fort Wayne A Snowpocalypse
If you visit Fort Wayne in the winter, come with a shovel. Residents are used to the massive snowfall, so expect to see drivers on the road even when the road isn’t really visible.
6. Just The Mention Of DeBrand Chocolatier Makes A Fort Wayne Local’s Mouth Water
DeBrand is Fort Wayne’s favorite local chocolatier. You can take a tour, see how the chocolate is made, and receive free samples, but you’ll likely find that a few samples are just not enough.
7. People From Fort Wayne Have Perfected The Combination Of Pizza And Beer
816 Pint and Slice is a favorite hangout for Fort Wayne residents who know that fancy does not always equal better, especially when it comes to pizza and beer.
8. People From Fort Wayne Knows How To Do A Block Party Like Nobody Else
House4AHouse Block Party hosted by A Better Fort is not your average block party. DJs, great food, and an entire town’s supply of glow sticks draws hundreds of Fort Wayne residents downtown to celebrate.
9. The Best Food In Fort Wayne Comes From A Truck
Fort Wayne has jumped on the food truck bandwagon, and locals are sure glad they did. Favorites like Ragin’ Cajun and Bravas Food Truck are must visit spots for any out-of-towner.
10. Johnny Appleseed Was Actually A Real Guy
For Johnny Appleseed, a.k.a. John Chapman, Fort Wayne was the place he finally took off his tin cap and laid down to rest after introducing apple trees to much of the Midwest. Out-of-towners can come to full appreciate the reverence locals have for the legendary figure at the annual Johnny Appleseed Festival.
11. He’s Also Where The City’s Most Beloved Baseball Team Gets Its Name From
The Fort Wayne TinCaps name comes from the tin utensil (that also served as a cap) which Johnny Appleseed wore on his head.
12. The Only Thing To Do On Sunday Morning Is Go To Church
Fort Wayne isn’t called the “City of Churches” without reason. If you’re looking for something to do on a Sunday morning, you’ll find your options are mostly limited to going to church. Then again, with a church on nearly every block, it’s hard to say you’re truly limited.
13. Powers Hamburgers Actually Have Magical Powers
No one should miss these slider style burgers. The huge stack of shaved onion topping is what makes these burgers a local favorite.
14. The Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo Is Awesome At Any Age
Just because it has “children” in the name doesn’t mean it’s not awesome as an adult. The zoo currently houses a baby red panda, so the cute factor is totally through the roof.
15. Nothing Beats Grabbing A Beer At Mad Anthony’s After A Long Day
If you want to drink with the locals, stop by Mad Anthony Brewing Company. Their seasonal beers will have you coming back to try something new all year long.
16. iPods May Be Portable, But Vinyl Is Still Neat Neat Neat
Neat Neat Neat Records & Music is every Fort Wayne vinylphile’s favorite local record shop. Their selection of new releases and older classic albums is sure to satisfy any musical taste.
17. Fort Wayne’s Live Music Scene Is Alive And Well At The Brass Rail
If you’re craving even more music after a trip to the local record store, The Brass Rail is the place to find it. This old-school dive bar hosts the best metal, punk, and rock bands that are touring the area.
18. Fort Wayne Is All About Family (And Not Just The Immediate Kind)
Allen County Public Library has the largest genealogy research collection in the country, and draws thousands of researchers to Fort Wayne every year. If you’re looking for a long lost relative, or some distant connection to a famous American hero, Fort Wayne just may be the place to find it.
19. Fort Wayne Is Way More Artsy Than You
Fort Wayne’s arts and culture community is way stronger than you’d think. The city is home to the Fort Wayne Museum of Art, Arts United, Wunderkammer, Chalk Walk, and Artlink Contemporary Gallery—all perfect places to tap into your artsy side.
20. The Cinema Center Is Basically An Indie Cinephile’s Heaven
Want to see that new super indie experimental French flick with the tiny limited release? The Cinema Center is your go-to spot.
21. People From Fort Wayne Are A Bunch Of Locavores
Fort Wayne is filled with tons of farmers markets, so don’t worry. You won’t have to break your ridiculously restrictive raw vegan diet on this trip.
22. You Can Thank Fort Wayne For Your Must Have Handbag
Vera Bradley was founded in Fort Wayne, so you can expect to see tons of the brightly colored floral and paisley print bags on your trip.
23. A Night At The Embassy Theater Is Always A Great Night
From concerts and Broadway shows to symphonies by the Fort Wayne Philharmonic Orchestra, the historic Embassy Theatre hosts events that are sure to appeal to everyone.
24. George’s International Market Is Where All The Worldly Foodies Shop
If you’re craving a culinary trip out of Fort Wayne without actually leaving the city, George’s International Market is the place to stock up. It also houses the city’s only Chicago style bakery, for a trip to Chicago without the drive.
25. Sweets So Geek Satisfies Your Sweet Tooth And Your Inner Geek
Talk about tapping into a niche market. Sweets So Geek is the kind of place you go when you just wish your cake was shaped a little more like the TARDIS. These baked goods also taste so great that you’ll start wishing your stomach was bigger on the inside.
26. Everyone Gets Their Caffeine Fix At Old Crown
Fort Wayne isn’t just another generic Starbucks city. Old Crown is where the more discerning coffee drinkers go, and it’s a great place for out-of-towners to get a sense of the local community by watching all the loyal regulars.
Did we miss anything? Tell us what you have to explain about Fort Wayne to out-of-towners in the comments below!
Zip Codes and Neighborhoods in Fort Wayne, IN
- 46807 Homes For Sale
- 46814 Homes For Sale
- 46825 Homes For Sale
- 46835 Homes For Sale
- 46845 Homes For Sale
- Northside Homes For Sale
- Bloomingdale Homes For Sale
- Lafayette Place Homes For Sale
- Sherwood to Pettit Homes For Sale
- Hacienda Village Homes For Sale