28 Things People From Dallas Have To Explain To Out-Of-TownersDon’t act too country and you’ll fit right in.
1. Deep Fried Everything Is Always Better
Source: Flickr user 31072585@N02Whether you’re getting it from the fair or the local greasy spoon, Dallas locals love all things battered and fried. Why? Because it tastes freaking delicious, that’s why.
2. Everybody’s Cousin/Sister/Roommate/Friend Was A Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
Source: Flickr user nanoprobe67Everyone in Dallas knows a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader. Or they pretend to know a Dallas Cowboy cheerleader. If you pretend to know one too you’ll get into the cool kids club.
3. But Really, Every Resident Of Dallas Is An Unofficial Cowboys Cheerleader
Source: Flickr user jdtornowDo not badmouth the Cowboys while you’re in Dallas. I repeat, do not badmouth the Cowboys.
4. When It Comes To Hair, Bigger Is Better
Source: Bigger Better Hair FacebookDallas residents know that old-fashioned bouffants and big blowouts haven’t lost their charm. Embrace the trend. Your hair is your crown.
5. TexMex Is Not The Same As Mexican Food—But It’s Equally Delicious
Source: Flickr user jeffreywIt’s the original fusion food. Just learn to love it for what it is.
6. If You’re Looking For Horses And Cowboy Hats, You’re In The Wrong Place
Source: Flickr user 18129177@N07Make no mistake—Dallas is a major city, and it moves at a major city pace. If all of your ideas about Texas came from old westerns, you’re in for a shock.
7. It’s Super Important To Know Your Neighborhoods
Source: Flickr user axzmOak Cliff, Deep Ellum, East Dallas, Uptown, Lakewood… the list goes on. Dallas locals place a lot of importance on where they’re from, since each neighborhood has a culture of its own.
8. Brunch Is The Most Important Meal Of The Day
Source: Flickr user ricosloungeForget breakfast. Breakfast doesn’t come with mimosas. Dallas natives are all about brunch. Brunch is more than a meal—it’s a lifestyle.
9. You Haven’t Lived Until You’ve Tried Snuffer’s Cheddar Fries
Source: Snuffer’s Restaurant & Bar FacebookThey aren’t cheese fries. They’re cheddar fries. And they are the best fries you have ever tasted in your life.
10. Everyone Living Outside Dallas Is “Country”
Source: giphy.com/Tumblr user thebombofreactionsAs in “She lives on a ranch? She’s so country.” Country is a versatile term. It can be used to describe anything that seems a little… rural.
11. Austin? What, You Mean Where All Those Hippies Live?
Source: Tumblr user alexismayoAustin might want to stay weird, but Dallas wants to steer clear. They may be urbanites, but in Dallas rural Texas values still beat out all that hippie stuff that’s going on in Austin.
12. Nothing Is More American Than The Texas State Fair
Source: Flickr user Robert HensleyBright lights, big hair, fried foods—what could be more American than that? Oh yeah… butter sculptures. They have butter sculptures.
13. Keep Your Eyes Peeled For Erykah Badu
Source: Flickr user expressoroastA sighting of this Dallas local will win you tons of bonus points with residents.
14. It’s Not All About Football—Dallas Is Artsy Too
Source: Dallas Museum of Art FacebookThe Dallas Museum of Art is a great place to get in touch with your artistic side. With all of their film screenings and workshops, there’s always some way to get involved.
15. Snow Means Everyone Gets The Day Off
Source: Flickr user findfadoDallas natives don’t really drive in the snow. They’d rather take the day off work. In fact, smaller places even tend to shut down at the first sign of flurries.
16. The Galleria Is The Best Place To Beat The Heat And Treat Yourself
Source: Flickr user bk1bennettWhether you’re beating the heat with the ice skating rink or treating yourself to a brand new wardrobe, the Galleria is the place to be on a hot summer day. You wouldn’t really be doing as the Dallas locals do unless you left with a few bags on your arms.
17. Absentmindedly Singing The Milestone Electric Jingle Is Totally Normal
Source: Milestone Electric FacebookIf you hear someone mumbling, “We’ll fix it in a flash” to themselves, that’s probably what’s going on.
18. Every Night Out Is A Margarita Night
Source: Flickr user davidberkowitzThe people of Dallas like their margaritas big, strong, and often. Pace yourself, out-of-towner.
19. You’ll Never Convince Someone From Dallas To Go To Fort Worth
Source: Flickr user Troll Meme GeneratorIt’s so close… but it might as well be on the other side of Texas. Don’t suggest going, even if there are some cool things you’d like to see there.
20. Rain Is Terrible And You Will Hear Everyone Complain About It
Source: Flickr user oxtopusUntil the second it stops raining. And then they complain about how dry it is. Complaining about the weather is basically your foundation for Dallas small talk.
21. It Takes Twenty Minutes To Get Anywhere In The City
Source: whateverblog.dallasnews.comDallas is huge, not just in population, but in area. A car is pretty essential, and everything is a bit of a drive.
22. Stock Up On Beer Before Game Day
Source: Flickr user jimwallSunday football will be a bust if you don’t stock up on Saturday night. Dallas has some strict prohibition laws.
23. It Really Is As Hot As You Imagined
Source: Flickr user meg-zThe heat can be brutal, so wear your sunscreen, and chase those margaritas with plenty of water.
24. No One Says “The” Before Freeway Numbers
Source: Tumblr user lifeinacademicpublishingIt’s 405 not the 405. Where are we? Los Angeles?
25. Buy Yourself Some Allergy Medication—You’ll Need It
Source: Tumblr user floraldystopiaSomething about the air in Dallas transforms every transplant or visitor into a sneezing, eye-watery mess. Stock up on that Claritin.
26. The Public Transportation Is Actually Awesome
Source: kinkisharyoFor a day out, save yourself some gas money and use the DART. They’re usually right on time, and they go through some nice areas. Be sure to stick to your high school curfew though. They don’t run very late.
27. But If You’re Looking For Tacos, Look No Further Than El Si Hay
Source: Flickr user chasquiTaqueria El Si Hay fulfills all the qualifications for a great taco joint. It’s quick. It’s cheap. It tastes super amazing. You crave it all day every day, and it’s open late.
28. Dallas Is A City Of Transplants
Source: Flickr user rawartistsIn the end, out-of-towners don’t have to worry too much about fitting in. There are quite a few Dallas natives, but there are just as many people who loved the city so much they had to move there. What do you have to explain to out-of-towners about Dallas? Tell us in the comments below!
Zip Codes and Neighborhoods in Dallas, TX
- 75205 Homes For Sale
- 75209 Homes For Sale
- 75219 Homes For Sale
- 75225 Homes For Sale
- 75230 Homes For Sale
- Central Dallas Homes For Sale
- Northwest Dallas Homes For Sale
- North Central Dallas Homes For Sale
- Northeast Dallas Homes For Sale
- Oak Lawn Homes For Sale