1. “Oh, man, it’s cold there, right?”
Well…yeah, it’s a little cold sometimes.
2. “Aren’t You Basically Canadian?”
Nope, still in the good old US of A. Maybe do yourself a favor and buy a map, but it’s not like anyone from Minnesota is going to take that question as an insult.
3. “Why Is It Called The Land Of 10,000 Lakes?”
That’s a tough one. Have you looked around lately?
4. “Why Do You Talk So Much About The Weather?”
First, have you experienced weather in Minnesota? Second, Minnesotans absolutely do not consider weather “small talk.” It’s a big deal.
5. “Why Do People Go Ice Fishing?”
Well, let’s just say there’s some whiskey involved, which makes sitting in the freezing cold to catch a fish a little more fun.
6. “Do You Just Love Going To The Mall Of America?”
Um…yeah, because dealing with massive crowds and high prices while navigating a giant mall labyrinth is great.
7. “Is Everyone You Know, Like, Super Nice?”
If by nice you mean totally able to destroy someone with a smile on their face and without a single negative word, then oh, you betcha.
They will help you shovel your driveway without batting an eye though.
8. “What Do You Mean By ‘That’s Interesting…’?”
Basically that it’s either just about the least interesting thing they’ve heard all day, or that it’s not the choice the Minnesotan you’re talking to would ever choose to make. Not that anyone would ever say that to your face.
9. “What The Heck Is Lutefisk?”
It’s an aged Norwegian dish made from aged stockfish, and well…it’s interesting.
10. “Aren’t You Cold In Those Shorts? It’s Only 50 Degrees.”
Nope, that’s practically 90 in Minnesota, but thanks for your concern.
11. “Why Are The Mosquitoes So Terrible Here?”
Ah, the question Minnesotans also ask themselves every single warm day of the year.
Best guess? They’re really trying to live it up before winter strikes again.
12. “What’s An Uff-Da?”
Well, there’s no direct translation, but basically “Wow!” or “Geeze!” or what your grandma says when she doesn’t want to swear but really secretly wants to swear. Context is key.
13. “Don’t You Just Love The Movie Fargo?”
Well, pretty much everyone loves the movie Fargo, and since everyone in Minnesota wasn’t living in a cave in 1996, yeah, you betcha. But you know that city is in North Dakota, right?
14. “Why Do You Hate Wisconsin So Much?”
Short answer: football. But there’s also a long answer that involves a whole lot of grumbling about that copycat state.
15. “Ew, Why Do You Put Ketchup On Your Steak?”
Why do you care? It’s not like you have to eat it. Also, it’s delicious and nothing you say will ever convince a Minnesotan otherwise.
16. “Why Is Everyone So Excited About A Stupid State Fair?”
First, how dare you. Second, you clearly haven’t been to the Minnesota State Fair before, because it’s only the most awesome deep-fried food and cool rides extravaganza in the world.
17. “Why Would You Say It’s Not That Cold When It’s 10 Degrees Outside?”
Well, it was negative two yesterday, so comparatively…
18. “Can’t We Just Hang Out And Watch A Movie?”
Absolutely not. There are only so many warm days a year, and every single one of them must be spent outside when you’re in Minnesota.
19. “Did You Meet All Of Your Current Friends In High School?”
Of course not. Some are old Kindergarten or Middle School buddies.
20. “What’s A Lefse?”
Just a Scandinavian flatbread that you’re going to form a mighty addiction to now that you’ve discovered it.
21. “Have You Ever Met Prince?”
No, but everyone in Minnesota’s cousin’s grandma’s sister definitely met him once in a grocery store.
22. “Aren’t Most Foods A Hot Dish?”
No…now sit down and eat this delicious casserole and discover everything you’ve been missing out on your entire life.
23. “Oh…Isn’t Michelle Bachman From Minnesota?”
You mean She Who Shall Not Be Named? Shhh…Minnesotans like to keep that one hush hush.
24. “Why Don’t You Ever Want To Go To Starbucks?”
Drink that swill when Caribou Coffee is available? No thanks.
25. “Where Is Up North?”
Basically everywhere north of where you’re currently standing. Good luck figuring out those directions.
26. “Why Do You Say Grey Duck Instead Of Goose?”
Wait, there are people who say goose? Why would anyone say goose?
27. “Why Do You Have Cat Litter When You Don’t Have A Cat?”
Oh…there is still so much you don’t know. If you still want to drive in Minnesota in the winter, it’s basically essential.
28. “What Do You Mean You Can’t Buy Booze On Sundays?”
Yeah…sorry about that. You’ll just have to stock up on Saturday or cross the border to dreaded Wisconsin. Such is life.
29. “What’s A Jucy Lucy?”
A heavenly cheese stuffed burger invented by Matt’s Bar in Minneapolis. You’re welcome world.
30. “Don’t You Wish You Could Move Sometimes?”
Honestly, everyone wishes they could move when it’s April and still snowing. But it’s a very fleeting feeling.
What’s the question everyone asks you just because you’re from Minnesota? Tell us in the comments below!