29. 1993 – The Liberty Science Center Opened in Jersey City
The existence of magic promptly demonstrated.
28. 2009 – Jersey Shore Airs on MTV
People in New Jersey are pissed off for the next three years.
27. 1962 – Sandy Hook State Park Opened
Class trips have never been the same for 4th graders ever since.
26. 1886 – Statue of Liberty Dedicated
New York starts tradition of stealing NJ thunder.
25. 1968 – The Jets Win the Superbowl
While not technically a NJ team, The Meadowlands hosts the freaking stadium!
24. 1746 – Princeton University is Chartered
It costs a whopping 15 schillings per quarter. What’s a schilling?
23. 1957 – The Garden State Parkway is Complete
The Parkway Cements Jerseyans sense of placement with the saying “I live off of Exit X on the Parkway.”
22. 1997 – The New Jersey Performing Arts Center Opens in Newark
It’s a Jersey rite of passage to see a performance here.
21. 1902 – Monopoly Debuts with Street Names From Atlantic City
20. 1933 – The First Drive-In Theater in the Country Opens in Camden, New Jersey
Because where else would you make out in high school?
19. 1610 – Bagels Created
While bagels weren’t invented in Jersey, they were perfected here. NJ Bagels > NY Bagels, simple fact.
18. 1879 – Thomas Edison Invents the Commercial Lightbulb in Menlo Park
He also invented the phonograph and motion pictures at the same lab. And probably porn.
17. 1787 – New Jersey Admitted to the Union on December 18, 1787
Because every country needs an armpit.
16. 1981 – Bruce Springsteen Opens the Brendan Byrne Arena, Now Known as Continental Airlines Arena
Source:flickr user Joe Shlabotnik
Bon Jovi would have probably been better, he just didn’t exist yet.
15. 1995 – New Jersey Devils Win the NHL’s Stanley Cup (Again in 2000 and 2003)
Scott Stevens & Martin Brodeur become indelible parts of NJ history.
14. 1976 – Wise New Jersey Voters Approve Casino Gambling for Atlantic City
Boardwalk Empire ensues.
13. 1915 – Frank Sinatra Born in Hoboken
Only New Jersey could inspire such greatness.
12. 1893 – Jersey Tomatoes Get So Famous They Legally Turn into Vegetables
Now if only popcorn had been invented in NJ.
11. 2007 – NJ Recognizes Civil Unions of Same-Sex Couples on February 17
It’s too bad we weren’t the first, but at least we are ahead of the curve on this one.
10. 1766 – William Franklin Signs Charter for Rutgers University
I have more friends that went to Rutgers than I can count. It’s the educational backbone of Jersey.
9. 1937 – Jackie Robinson Broke Organized Baseball’s “Color Line” at Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City
While it was only Jackie Robinson’s first minor league game, it is still an important part of US, an Jersey, history.
8. 1989 – Weird NJ Sends Its First Newsletter, Releasing the Inside Scoop on all NJ Legends to the World
Someone should really make a scavenger hunt comprised of going to as many of these landmarks as possible in one week.
7. 1949 – The State Legislature Mandates Gas Station Attendants
Jersey Girls will never learn to pump their own gas. Plus, we’d blow ourselves up otherwise.
6. 1957 – Westfield Garden State Plaza opens, Shopping Malls Solidified as a Way of Life in NJ
I rep the Bridgewater Mall, but general fun fact: Jersey has the most shopping malls in one area in the world with seven major shopping malls in a 25 square-mile radius.
5. 1908 – Legend of the “Jersey Devil” Revived, Horrifying Middle Schoolers for Years
When you think about it, the Jersey Devil is a job creator creating countless jobs for “professional monster hunters” and urban legend-ists.
4.1865 – Barnegat Lighthouse Built and the Jersey Shore Goes Legit
LBI is put on the map for more than just the locals. Bumper sticker producers also get a boost.
3. 1987 – The Giants Win Their First Super Bowl, LT Becomes the Name of Every Fan’s Dog
Every season with the Giants is a rollercoaster, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
2. 1917 – Diners Created by Bayonne Legend Jerry O’Mahonys
Eating at the local Chester Diner was more regular than church for me growing up. Thanks, Jerry.
1. 1856 – Taylor Ham developed by John Taylor of Trenton
Pork roll was never the same.
If I forgot a moment, let me know in the comments.
Who is Movoto Real Estate, you might ask? Movoto is an online real estate brokerage based in San Mateo, CA. Our blog has been recognized for its unique approach to city-based research by major news organizations around the world such as Forbes and CBS News.