1. You’ll Be The One That Brings The Bourbon To Gatherings
What? People seriously prefer red wine or vodka? No matter, you’ll bring the bourbon and everyone will love you.
2. It’s Your Job Now To Teach Everyone How To Pronounce Louisville Correctly
It’s not Louie-Ville, it’s not Lou-iss-ville. Say it with me: Loo-a-vuhl.
3. Everyone Will Want To Visit You For Derby Day
As soon as you say you’re from Louisville, all your new friends will start planning your next visit home around the Kentucky Derby, with them tagging along of course.
4. But No One Else Will Know About The Oaks
You know better, of course, and you’ll try to convince out-of-towners that they really want to head back to Louisville for the Kentucky Oaks. But yes, they can still wear fun hats.
5. Ask For An Ale-8 And You’ll Get Weird Looks
These weird looks could also be blank stares because no, no one else knows what the wonderfulness of Ale-8 is.
6. You’ll Convince New Friends To Come Home For Forecastle
And they should just trust you on this one because Forecastle Festival is the best and you can’t bear to miss it.
7. No Breakfast Will Be As Good As Hillbilly Tea Or Toast On Market
Even if you didn’t love tea, you loved Hillbilly Tea, and you’ll miss both spots so much when you wake up Sunday morning looking for a Bloody Mary and a big breakfast.
8. Finding Someone To Hook You Up With Moonshine Will Be Nearly Impossible
“So, who’s our moonshine source?” you’ll ask, and everyone will look at you weird. Say goodbye to your moonshine indulgence because unless you want to try yourself, no one will be able to get it to you.
9. Not Every Bar Is Open Until 4 A.M.
What is this? A 12:45 last call? You’ll probably get some better sleep, but you’ll miss bars, like Magnolia, that are open till basically first thing in the morning.
10. Bar Crawls Everywhere Else Are Kind Of Pathetic
If you’ve been on the Bambi Walk, you can dominate any other bar crawl absolutely no problem, and then you’ll spend the time talking about how much harder the Bambi Walk is.
11. No One Will Understand Your Hatred Of Indiana No Matter How Hard You Try To Explain
You’ll try to hate on Indiana, but you’ll have a hard time explaining just why, and no one outside of Louisville will get it. It’s not just basketball, really.
12. You Won’t Find Another Place Like Homemade Ice Cream And Pie Kitchen
Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen is a godsend, with the most delicious pies, cakes, baked goods, fresh churned ice cream, and even sandwiches at lunch time. You won’t find another place like this no matter where you are.
13. When People Get KFC, You’ll Set Them Straight
You know what real Kentucky fried chicken is, and KFC is not it.
14. When You Meet Someone From Home, You’ll Ask UK Or U of L
There’s a dividing line in Louisville, and it’s the University of Kentucky versus University of Louisville. No matter how long you’ve been away from home, when you meet someone from the area, you’ll ask what side they’re on.
15. In The Morning, You’ll Crave Highland Coffee
Louisville runs on Highland Coffee, so when you leave town, you’ll search high and low for a caffeine fix that can satisfy your craving for the star cup.
16. When Summer Hits, You’ll Be Desperate For Comfy Cow
When the weather heats up, all you want is a big waffle cone full of Simply Southern. Why does no other place have the glorious mixture of Georgia Butter Pecan ice cream, pecan pie pieces, chocolate chips, and bourbon?
17. No Other Grocery Stores Carry Benedictine Spread
If you ask for Benedictine Spread in the grocery store, the clerk will have no idea what you’re talking about.
18. You’ll Find Yourself Pointing Out Louisville Sluggers
That hometown pride will show itself in how you’ll make sure to point out anytime you see sports equipment made by hometown favorite Louisville Slugger.
19. No One Else Knows What A Hot Brown Is And It’s Depressing
Before you used to debate on the best place for a Hot Brown and now you’re stuck explaining to people what a Hot Brown is and desperately trying to see if they can be shipped to your new home.
20. Leaving Louisville Will Make You Forget What Allergies Are
Suddenly, you’re not a sneezing, sniffling, eye-itching mess because it turns out, Louisville is one of the worst places for allergies. Breathe in!
21. Frying Isn’t The Only Way To Prepare Fish
Broiled, grilled, baked? Yeah, there are all kinds of ways to prepare fish, not just fried.
22. People Will Assume Louisville Is Small
And you will spend your time correcting them.
23. You’ll Jump On Any Chance To Rave About Muhammad Ali
If boxing comes up in conversation (and even when it doesn’t), you’ll find yourself going on a monologue about how great Muhammad Ali is. Can’t hide that hometown pride.
24. Not Using Your Turn Signal Might Actually Get You In An Accident
So that lever on the side of your steering wheel? That’s your turn signal, and you’re going to have to start using it or you’ll get honked at a lot… or die.
25. Eating A Cheeseburger? Time To Bring Up Louisville
Any time you’re in McDonalds or grilling up some burgers at home, you’ll find a way to mention that your beloved hometown is home of the cheeseburger.
26. At Lunch, You’ll Think Of Hammerheads
When noon rolls around and you’re feeling the lunchtime hunger set in, you’ll do absolutely anything to grab a bite at one of your favorite spots back home.
27. There Aren’t Bridges Everywhere
In Louisville, you have to cross a bridge to get just about anywhere, so you just kind of get used to it. But most people do not have to deal with this.
28. All Other Fireworks Shows Will Be A Letdown
So it may not change much from year to year, but Thunder Over Louisville has pretty much ruined you for any rinky-dink fireworks show you’ll see somewhere else.
29. Most Places Cheer More For Pro Teams Than College
Louisville is basketball country and college sports country in general. So when people get really excited about their pro baseball team or pro football team, you just won’t understand.
What do you miss about Louisville? Tell us in the comments below!